Ad Operations Specialist
Guardian News & Media (GNM) is the publisher of the US news website www.theguardian.com/us, the Guardian and Observer newspapers and www.theguardian.com website in the UK. We're a highly regarded global news brand, owned by the Scott Trust — an arrangement that guarantees its independent voice in perpetuity.
Headquartered in New York City, Guardian US, is an entirely digital operation that seeks to engage US readers by combining the Guardian's internationalist, online journalism with US voices and expertise.
Department: Commercial, Ad Ops
Reports to: Director of Client Services
Normal location: New York, NY
Terms and conditions: Permanent. Full-time. Regular hours will be Monday-Friday, 12pm-8pm.
The Guardian US is independently owned and values driven. From breaking news, award-winning investigations and analysis to in-depth coverage of technology, sports, film, culture, and lifestyle, The Guardian US offers unique perspectives you simply won’t find anywhere else. Readers consistently tell us that what they value most about our coverage is the fact that we are not part of the US media elite, and that our global view adds greatly to their understanding of America and the world.
Reporting to the Director of Client Services, the Ad Operations Specialist will assist in RFP responses, programmatic reporting inquiries, trafficking direct orders, and various yield and project management tasks associated to our dynamic digital campaigns. The Specialist will work in tandem with the Account Management team, finance, sales, and both domestic and UK ops teams. This role will support the needs of our West Coast team, and daily hours will reflect this with an adjusted schedule of 12pm – 8pm. This exciting opportunity provides a solid foundation for a career path in digital advertising.
- Assist in trafficking digital campaigns with focus on supporting our West Coast team from 12pm – 8pm.
- Provide Account Management and external agencies with site specifications, ensuring compliance to business rules, workflows and processes.
- Perform as hub for internal communication between Account Manager and Project Managers for media and branded content sponsorships, acting as subject matter expert for all initiatives
- Aid in developing pricing strategies for both direct and programmatic initiatives.
- Work with Account Management to optimize campaigns to maximize performance.
- Provide proactive delivery and performance reporting updates throughout the life of the campaign as well as interpretations of data and recommendations for changes.
- Monitor and manage direct sold and programmatic inventory in DFP ad server.
- Check booked orders in Salesforce order management system and DFP against IO.
- Work with Account Managers on gathering creatives from agencies/clients per campaign requirements.
- Understand campaign KPI’s and objectives and weigh in on technicalities and project requirements.
- Match tags against placements on finalized IO.
- Test all ad creative for compliance with site specifications as well as functionality across all platforms and devices.
- Pull programmatic reporting within multiple supply side platforms.
- Troubleshoot all tagging, targeting, and trafficking issues.
- Execute high impact takeovers and manage launch-day tasks with Account Manager.
- Help with creating PMP deals as well as Programmatic Guaranteed campaigns
- Optimize placements in DFP per Inventory Manager and Account Manager direction.
- Investigate discrepancies between first and third-party delivery.
- Generate and review weekly advertiser campaign reports to track performance against guarantee.
- Launch and manage US media and branded content campaigns in DFP.
- Work cross departmentally with Core Production, Producers, Commercial Dev, and Ad Ops Managers and Directors in troubleshooting site issues.
- Maintain all shared project management workbooks.
- Detail Oriented: Extremely organized and detail oriented; someone who takes pride in their work
- Problem Solver: Identifies and solves problems creatively while also able to analyze data
- Communicator: Articulate and clear communicator with partners and clients
- Accountable: Takes personal accountability for actions and results
- Proactive: Anticipates challenges and prepares in advance
- Agile: Strong multitasking skills and able to see situations from multiple angles
- Business minded: Able to grasp the big picture while understanding how your work directly impacts the bottom line
- Team Player: Ability to build and sustain effective working relationships with colleagues, with the ability to adapt working style accordingly.
- Manages and leads through ambiguity and tackles business challenges with a positive, solutions-focused attitude.
- Works independently and functions well under pressure, consistently paying attention to accuracy and quality of work.
- Takes initiative to add value beyond initial requests by anticipating future questions/follow up requests and proactively resolving them.
- Expert proficiency with business and web-based systems and applications - Microsoft Office, Google mail/document management.
Education and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent in advertising, marketing, communications, or related field required.
- Previous Sales Assistant or Account Management experience is a plus.
- 1+ years of progressive ad ops, traffic, or project management experience preferred.
- Experience working in the news, publishing, or media industries desirable.
All candidates interested in applying should upload a resume and cover letter. All candidates must have the right to work and live in the United States and be located, or prepared to relocate to the Greater New York City Area.
Guardian News & Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin or citizenship. We value and respect all differences in all people (seen and unseen). We aspire to provide inclusive working experiences and an environment that reflects the audience we serve, where our people have equal access to career development opportunities, their voices are heard, and they can contribute to our future.
We value and respect all differences in all people (seen and unseen) at the Guardian. We aspire to inclusive working experiences and an environment that reflects the audience we serve, where our people have equal access to career development opportunities, their voices are heard and can contribute to our future.
This job description is a guide to the work you will initially be required to undertake. It summarizes the main aspects of the job but does not cover all the duties that the job holder may have to perform. It may be changed from time to time to meet changing circumstances. It does not form part of your contract of employment and as your experience grows, you will be expected to broaden your tasks, suggest improvements, solve problems and enhance the effectiveness of the role.