Reporter, Global Development
Join our team at the Guardian and be a part of a diverse and inclusive global organisation that delivers fearless, investigative journalism, and holds power to account. Our team of award-winning journalists, cutting-edge commercial professionals, and industry-leading digital experts are committed to making a difference and represent a wide range of backgrounds and perspectives. We offer a challenging and exciting environment for career development, with a focus on training, growth and fostering an inclusive culture.
We are now looking for a Reporter (12 month fixed term contract or staff secondment) to report on global development and human rights issues.
About the Role
- Cover stories as directed, including breaking news
- Check all stories for accuracy and legal compliance
- Source interviews and stories and develop ways of telling them in an engaging way
- Monitor a range of sources and diaries for breaking/developing/upcoming stories
- Work closely with colleagues – especially desk editors across the Guardian and the Observer, data specialists and visual journalists - on collaborative projects
- Keep colleagues always informed of stories in development
- Use social media as part of our commitment to open journalism and engagement of our audience
- Demonstrable experience of working as a journalist, online and print, ideally on a national newspaper, website or magazine with an international outlook
- Knowledge/ awareness of the demands of digital platforms and print
- Proven experience of writing news
- Experienced in effectively using social media and multimedia
- Understanding of media law
- A keen interest in, preferably knowledge of, the developing world, of foreign affairs and of human rights
- Ideally, you'll have a demonstrable ability to bring a diverse perspective to this role and to cover under-reported stories.
We actively encourage applications from candidates who are BAME or from other groups traditionally underrepresented in the UK media.
How to Apply
To apply, please upload your latest CV and a cover letter which outlines why you'd love to take on this role, and why you're a great match for what we're looking for.
The closing date for applications is Thursday 10th August 2023.
All roles at the Guardian are open for everybody to apply. It is important to us that you feel supported and comfortable throughout your recruitment process, in order to perform your best. Please let us know if there are any changes we could make to the recruitment process to make it easier and more comfortable for you. Please contact Sean Brinkley at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss further so we can work with you to support you through your application.
Benefits at the Guardian
Culture & Wellbeing
We want everyone to feel like they belong at the Guardian and we champion diversity of thought. Our various employee forums provide a platform to use their voice to foster an inclusive workplace.
You will also have the opportunity to hear unique insight from our journalists in our morning conference, a live discussion on the news story of the day.
We offer great tools to help you prioritise your wellbeing including free yoga and pilates. These run alongside our corporate gym membership and cycle to work scheme.
Learning & Development
We encourage personal and professional growth. Employees have access to a broad range of tools and solutions, and we are happy to support the pursuit of professional qualifications through vocational courses and apprenticeships.
Our Working Environment
We take pride in our surroundings and are pleased to offer versatile meeting rooms and colourful communal areas. We have a brilliant canteen that caters to breakfast, lunch and dinner, with views overlooking Regent's Canal. Our multi-faith prayer room provides privacy for those who require a safe space when in the office. Also, coming soon, the Yellow room, a dedicated space for expressing if you are breastfeeding.
Additional Benefits & Policies
We offer 30 days annual leave per annum, plus an additional 5 day holiday purchase scheme. Our pension scheme is generous; if you contribute 5% then we will contribute 8-12% (depending on your age). We believe in giving back, which is why employees are given 2 volunteering days annually and the option of payroll giving. Season ticket loans are also available.
You are entitled to life cover, income protection, healthcare, sick pay and eye tests. You can also opt in to dental insurance.
We have enhanced maternity, paternity, adoption and shared parental leave policies in place. We also support our employees by offering an IVF, menopause, baby loss, and trans equality policy.