Join our team at the Guardian and be a part of a diverse and inclusive global organisation that delivers fearless, investigative journalism and holds power to account. Our team of award-winning journalists, cutting-edge commercial professionals, and industry-leading digital experts are committed to making a difference and represent a wide range of backgrounds and perspectives. We offer a challenging and exciting environment for career development, with a focus on training, growth and fostering an inclusive culture.
We're now looking for a Berlin Correspondent to report on Germany and where necessary neighbouring countries, producing news, feature stories and analysis on a daily basis across all Guardian platforms.
We expect the successful applicant to be based in Berlin.
About the Role
- Produce content (text, audio, video etc.) for all our platforms
- Keep up to date with stories in the region and work with international editors to translate this into the best possible content
- Keep international editors informed of stories in development
- Help develop innovative techniques and styles of digital storytelling
- Work with other members of our team of European correspondents to identify and deliver news and features
- Develop and maintain contacts and through them, develop exclusive and original material where possible
- Excellent knowledge of Germany and the region
- Strong language skills essential - German
- Extensive experience of working as a senior journalist, online and print, ideally on a national newspaper, website or magazine
- Experience of delivering exclusive, complex stories on an international scale
- Knowledge/awareness of the demands of digital platforms and print
- Proven experience of writing daily news and analytical content
- Ideally, you'll have a demonstrable ability to bring a diverse perspective to this role and to cover under-reported stories
We actively encourage applications from candidates who are BAME or from other groups traditionally underrepresented in the UK media.
We value and respect all differences (seen and unseen) in all people at the Guardian. We aspire to have inclusive working experiences and an environment that reflects the audience we serve, where our people have equal access to career development opportunities, their voices are heard and can contribute to our future.
How to Apply
To apply, please upload your latest CV and a cover letter which outlines why you'd love to take on this role, and why you're a great match for what we're looking for.
The closing date for applications is Thursday 10th August 2023.
All roles at the Guardian are open for everybody to apply. It is important to us that you feel supported and comfortable throughout your recruitment process, in order to perform your best. Please let us know if there are any changes we could make to the recruitment process to make it easier and more comfortable for you. Please contact Sean Brinkley at email@example.com to discuss further so we can work with you to support you through your application.
Benefits at the Guardian
Culture & Wellbeing
We want everyone to feel like they belong at the Guardian and we champion diversity of thought. Our various employee forums provide a platform to use their voice to foster an inclusive workplace.
You will also have the opportunity to hear unique insight from our journalists in our morning conference, a live discussion on the news story of the day.
Learning & Development
We encourage personal and professional growth. Employees have access to a broad range of tools and solutions, and we are happy to support the pursuit of professional qualifications through vocational courses and apprenticeships.
Additional Benefits & Policies
We offer 30 days annual leave per annum, plus an additional 5 day holiday purchase scheme. Our pension scheme is generous; if you contribute 5% then we will contribute 8-12% (depending on your age). We believe in giving back, which is why employees are given 2 volunteering days annually and the option of payroll giving.
You are entitled to life cover, income protection, healthcare, sick pay and eye tests. You can also opt in to dental insurance.
We have enhanced maternity, paternity, adoption and shared parental leave policies in place. We also support our employees by offering an IVF, menopause, baby loss, and trans equality policy.